Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Drugs Alcohol Tobacco and Frugality

I will start by saying that I started following Christ when I was a senior in high school. Before that time, I had my indiscretions with drugs, alcohol and tobacco. Frugality would come later. When I decided to go to Bible college at age nineteen, I was still secretly smoking cigarettes on occasion, but I stopped then. They dont look too fondly on smoking at Bible college.

The Legality

Most drugs, at least the ones Im thinking of, are illegal. Biblically, Im not supposed to be doing illegal things, so my argument against drugs stops there. Drug addictions are expensive to boot. My life is not one that I am looking to escape, so drugs are not a temptation.

The Health

Tobacco is something I could slip into if I werent careful. Cigarettes are that addicting. Sometimes when Im near someone whos smoking, the smell grosses me out, but sometimes it makes me remember when that was the smell of relaxing.

Not only is smoking ridiculously expensive, it is horrible for your health. Ive recently, within this past year, become uber health conscious and smoking would go against all of the work I have done.

The Frugality

Alcohol is legal and morally acceptable in small quantities. Jesus turned water into wine, not grape juice. But Proverbs says strong drink is a mocker, so excess is not okay or wise. My husband and I dont drink. We dont drink because we dont want to. Alcohol was the least enjoyable indiscretion and I only did it because I was a looser swayed by peer-pressure. Alcohol is not worth the cost to us. None of it is, and drugs, alcohol and tobacco are areas where many people could save a lot of money.

I was asked what I thought about some of the alcohol ads running in the sidebar sometimes. This post is a response to that query. I dont mind them. I could have opted-out of those ads but I didnt because I dont mind them. It is my opinion that drinkers will drink regardless of this blog and non-drinkers will not drink, even though there is a coupon on the ad. I find the ad makes me thirsty, but not for what its promoting. A glass of water will do.

0 comments to “Drugs Alcohol Tobacco and Frugality”

Post a Comment

 

Information Sharing Copyright © 2016 -- Powered by Blogger