Sunday, March 2, 2014

A SImple Super Frugal High Protein Breakfast

Ive listed some of my dinner meals, but not the other stuff we eat, so heres our breakfast.

I like a high protein breakfast. It keeps me full longer and gives me energy to clean up around the house. Adding carbs early in the morning sets me up to be groggy and unproductive.

My husband and I start everyday with what we call "egg pile." Not everyone likes the routine of having the same thing every morning, but we do. I usually make something special on one of Dans days off, like omelets or even pancakes.

We used to have "egg pile" in a sandwich, but I dont have bread on hand every day, so I shortened it. Occasionally, we treat ourselves to bread, which is yummy, but not necessary. If anything, adding the bread makes us hungrier sooner.

I get a 12 oz sausage roll from the Dollar Tree for $1.00. It does have vague "spices" listed as an ingredient, but no nitrates, which is our current health mission. I break the sausage roll into twelve pieces and flatten the pieces. So, two sausage "patties" cost us $0.17.

This goes on an egg, thus the name "egg pile." We get a dozen medium eggs from Walmart for $0.96, or $0.16 for the two eggs.

The egg is also topped with a half ounce of cheese that my husband and I split, for another $0.06.

Each kid gets an egg for breakfast, for $0.16, with a half ounce of cheese, split, for $0.06. They then graze as needed for the rest of the morning. Someday, Ill write a whole post about why we love being grazers, but not today.

Why so skimpy on the cheese? Because I make fried eggs, and I hate cheese cooked onto the pan, so I dont pile it on. I put on what fits neatly. We eat cheese and drink milk throughout the day.

Breakfast is an excellent place to cut costs. Grain based meals, like pancakes and french toast, along with oatmeal, are great frugal breakfast options for people who can handle carbs in the morning. I love eggs myself, and have actually had egg cravings during this pregnancy where it seemed like eggs were all I ate all day.

How do you save on breakfast?

0 comments to “A SImple Super Frugal High Protein Breakfast”

Post a Comment

 

Information Sharing Copyright © 2016 -- Powered by Blogger